Julius
Cesar
Friends,
Romans, Countrymen lend me your ears!” In other words listen up! I have just gotten
done watching Shakespeare’s Julius Cesar,
by Charlton Hesten, which I thought was really very good. The costuming wasn’t very good, but the
scenery made up for it, and it had a lot of historical accuracy.
The costuming in this play was tolerable
but there were some things I saw wrong with it. Brutus wore this red apron like
thing that I thought was completely unnecessary. And the armor looked bulky and
useless. But as I said I did see a few things that looked good. Cesar’s outfit
was fairly accurate; it was a toga with a robe that he always had draped around
himself. Portia’s attire was very interesting; it was a
kind of lavender color and was really long and flowing. At the battle field
their helmets, though they were a little bulky, looked like the normal
centenarian amour. Some of the costumes were not the best but, some were really
agreeable.
For the most part the scenery in this
movie was marvelous. The city looked
really good; it is what I would have imagined it would look like, it had lots
of small buildings that were fairly close together most of which were made of a
white colored stone. In Act Two when Brutus was talking to the conspirators
on his roof, you could see the whole city below and it was really superb. The scenery on the battle field was awesome. The
bright green grass, and all of the big builders and hills. But the “swords”
they used were more like daggers and about three inches thick. The scenery in
this movie was beautiful.
There
was lots of historical accuracy in this play. According to the history books
and Wikipedia, the battle really did take place shortly after Cesar’s death.
And in the beginning of the play when it cited that Cesar had defeated the
general Pompey that was also true. Pompey was another person that did not
believe in Cesar’s rules he made an army and meant to stand up against Cesar,
but Cesar killed Pompey instead. I don’t think that all of those conversations
in general were accurate. But when Cesar died in the play he said “Et tu,
Bruté?” this is historically correct. Lots of the things in the play actually took place.
In
conclusion, I think that the Charlton
Hesten version of Julius
Cesar was pretty good, for its time. The three main parts I liked were the
costuming, scenery and the historical accuracy. Though the swords might have
looked two inches thick, and some costumes looked like aprons, they did a
really good job, and they were all very good actors.
No comments:
Post a Comment